Curriculum for Wales
The world is rapidly changing and we need new ideas and creative use of technology. To address these challenges, Idris Davies School wants to make sure that your child has the knowledge, skills and experiences they’ll need to make the most of life. Teachers at Idris Davies School have been working together to develop the new IDS Curriculum for Wales (CfW) offer.
At IDS we want all pupils to be:
- an ambitious, capable learner, ready to learn throughout their life
- an enterprising, creative contributor, ready to play a full part in life and work
- an ethical, informed citizen, ready to take part in Wales and the world, and
- a healthy, confident individual, ready to lead a fulfilling life as a valued member of society.
These are called the ‘four purposes’ of the curriculum.
All students will participate in 6 different Areas of Learning experiences (AoLEs)
- LLC - your child will learn about languages. They’ll understand and use Welsh, English and other languages. They’ll study and create literature, and communicate in spoken, written or visual ways. This could include poetry, drama and film.
- Expressive Arts - In Expressive Arts, your child will explore art, dance, drama, film and digital media and music to develop their creative, artistic and performance skills.
- Health and Well-being - is about looking after their physical and mental health including emotional well-being. They’ll learn about healthy eating and how to make good decisions, deal with influences and develop healthy relationships.
- Humanities - In Humanities they’ll learn about the world, society and events in the past and present. They’ll explore the challenges and opportunities that face us, and what ethical action we can take to safeguard the world and its people in the future.
- Maths & Numeracy - In Mathematics and Numeracy, your child will develop their understanding of numbers and use symbols in maths. They’ll explore shapes and measurement and learn about statistics and probability.
- Science & Technology - In this area your child will learn about biology, chemistry, physics, computer science and design and technology. They’ll learn about design and engineering, living things, matter, forces and energy, and how computers work.
The curriculum will also cover overall themes of human rights, diversity and respecting differences, experiences and skills for careers and the workplace, learning about local, national and international contexts and developmentally appropriate relationships and sexuality education.
There is also a significant emphasis on cross-curricular skills in literacy, numeracy and digital competence and the key skills of creativity & innovation, critical thinking and problem solving, personal effectiveness, and planning and organising which will all be embedded in the IDS curriculum.
The aim of this curriculum reform is to raise standards, reduce the attainment gap between students, and equip young people to lead fulfilling personal, civic and professional lives in modern society. It aims to prepare the students of Idris Davies School to thrive in a future where digital skills, adaptability and creativity are crucial, and one that is rooted in Welsh values and culture.
To view our CfW offer please click the image below to a view our dedicated presentation.
PDF Files with more Information
- A guide to the new Curriculum for Wales
- A young persons guide to the new Curriculum for Wales
- CfW Parental Help Sheet for Snapshots
- CfW Descriptions of Learning Statements Expressive Arts docx
- CfW Descriptions of Learning Statements Health and Well Being docx
- CfW Descriptions of Learning Statements Humanities docx
- CfW Descriptions of Learning Statements Languages Literacy and Communication docx
- CfW Descriptions of Learning Statements Mathematics and Numeracy docx
- CfW Descriptions of Learning Statements Science and Technology docx
- The new Curriculum for Wales An Easy Read Guide for Young People